Keep the following tips in mind when buying used forklifts.
1. Ensure that the forklift meets all your requirements. Take note that its features (e.g. height and width) meet the specifications of your warehouse and its applications are exactly what your operations need.
2. Check that all the documents are available.
☐ Maintenance History or Service Reports
3. Look closely at the condition of the forklift and carry out a function test.
- Appearance (Are there any obvious physical defects?)
☐ Is there any visible rust?
☐ Are the necessary functional safety features (i.e. console, seat, seatbelt, park brake) included and secure in their place?
☐ Are there any cracks on its forks or chassis/mast mountings?
☐ Are the tyres in good serviceable condition without any damage (i.e. tears)
☐ Are the “wear marks” still visible?
☐ Turn the engine on and put the truck on a clean floor surface for 15 minutes and operate all hydraulic functions. Are there any oil leaks?
☐ Do all hydraulic functions operate correctly?
☐ Are the hydraulic pumps noisy?
☐ How responsive is the steering?
☐ Does the vehicle stay on track?
- ☐ Is the brake effect the same on both sides?
☐ Does the parking brake work?
☐ Is there any play between the guide rail and fork carriage?
☐ Does the mast and forks sag under load?
☐ Has the battery been refurbished?
☐ How old is it?
☐ How many cycles has it been through?
☐ Does it have a warranty?
☐ Does it have a test report?
4. Understand the warranty’s terms & conditions.
☐ Does the forklift come with a warranty?
☐ Do they cover major components?
☐ Are there hour limits?
5. Check for its safety & compliance.
☐ Is the manufacturer’s compliance plate fitted to the unit and is in the local language?
☐ Are the ratings listed on the compliance plate suitable to your application and load centre?
☐ Are all the safety labels in the local language?
☐ Is the unit legally imported into your region and supported by an authorised local dealer?
☐ If it has an internal combustion engine unit, does it meet local emission standards?
☐ Will it work with local fuel quality?
Check in with your Crown Equipment partner to ensure that your pre-owned forklift is in tiptop condition!